- transient models that outperform conventional planning software
- high-quality simulations that enable realistic performance optimization
- forward-looking pump start-up in narrow mud weight windows or wells with stability issues
- a clearer understanding of cuttings transport and optimized hole cleaning
- optimized tripping speeds based on dynamic surge and swab simulations
- the capability to conduct downhole tool conversions in situations where pressure spikes could cause well damage
- string weight verification to run casing/liner and estimate hook load and buckling resistance
The power of dynamic modeling
We also conduct dynamic surge and swab simulations that factor in the pressure pulses that occur when displaced fluid breaks gel in the annulus. This enables drillers to optimize running speeds while minimizing formation stress.
Better simulations deliver better results
Sekal software creates realistic second-by-second dynamic downhole pressure simulations, plus hole cleaning and temperature evolutions. This detailed picture of changing conditions enables the drilling team to optimize drilling parameters and operate safely closer to the upper and lower limits. As a result, downhole pressure fluctuations across unstable formations can be minimized, which reduces stress during pump start-ups, circulation or tripping.
Problems predicted, risk reduced
Drilling Engineering Services case study
The Sekal Drilling Engineering Services team has been working with leading oil and gas companies around the world since 2011.
The first borehole in a six-well North Sea drilling program experienced severe stability problems: excessive circulation failed to clean the 12 ¼-in sections, which caused liner run problems, while pack-off and hole collapse resulted in a 6-in rather than 8 ½-in reservoir section hole.
These changes helped to ensure that the second well was cleaned to TD with no liner run problems, pack-off or hole collapse. The initial well plan was for 110 days, but drilling operations were completed to the planned hole size in just in 61 days (P10).
Get in touch
We focus on helping clients enhance their operations and optimize drilling performance by applying trend analysis and dynamic modeling to predict changes in drilling conditions that will lead to delays, inefficiencies and invisible lost time.